If you are elderly and find it difficult to feed yourself and carry your plate around, you may be using the incorrect dinnerware. Lightweight plates for the elderly are required.
I know how it feels to appear handicapped because you can’t do things on your own or by yourself as an elderly person due to medical conditions.
Certain tasks may become more difficult to complete as you get older.
driving, household chores, using modern technology, feeding, and so on can be difficult.
Simple tasks such as opening jars, picking up items from the floor, climbing the stairs, driving, household chores, using modern technology, feeding, and so on can be difficult.
HIGH SIDED PLATES
High-sided plates are plates that were designed to assist the elderly with shaky hands, weakness, or uncoordinated movement to easily scoop food without spillage.
This type of plate usually has raised sides around it and provides a firm vertical surface for scooping food.
High-sided plates also come in different shapes and sizes. Some are rectangular in shape, some are round in shape with rim, and some are also round in shape with lip. These features make scooping and eating easy for the elderly and senior citizens.
NORTH COAST MEDICAL GRIPWARE HIGH SIDED DISH
- Gripware dishes instill confidence by helping to maintain a clean eating environment.
- It’s ideal for people who have the use of only one hand, and for those with limited flexibility or motor coordination, neurological disorders or ataxia.
- High sided dish high rim makes scooping and independent eating extra easy.
- It is made of melamine and should not be microwaved.
READ ALSO: ARE BAMBOO PLATES SAFE?
LIPPED PLATES FOR DISABLED
Eating and drinking can make mealtime very tiring for the elderly, disabled, and those with a weak grip. Special people like this do not make use of the regular dinnerware, cups, and cutleries.
In other to overcome this problem, they’re meant to use special plates like lipped plates for the disabled, light feeding cups, and thick-handled cutlery.
With the use of proper utensils, a person’s disabilities can be overcome. When disabled people feed themselves, it improves their self-respect and dignity.
SP ABLEWARE INNER-LIP PLATE
- This inner-lip plate is designed to assist people with limited muscle control, children, the elderly and individuals with the use of only one hand.
- The high wall with inner lip keeps food from sliding off the plate and can be used to push food on the utensil.
- This plate is dishwasher, autoclave and microwave safe.
It’s sturdy and great for anyone who has a problem with their hands.
LIGHTWEIGHT PLATES FOR THE ELDERLY
Being able to reach old age is something to be thankful for. But sometimes, old age comes with a lot of challenges.
My grandmother who is 78 years old once lived with me and this gave me the opportunity to learn how to care for the elderly.
I noticed that she loves to feed herself, but it was a challenge because we had heavy-duty plates at home. Each time I try to feed her, she’ll ask me to allow her to do it herself.
So, I decided to purchase lightweight plates as a way of encouraging her. Now, she can easily carry her plate around while feeding eating. Below is an example of lightweight plates for the elderly.
ROCINHA 4PCS LIGHTWEIGHT WHEAT STRAW PLATES
- These plates are made of straw and food pp material.
- They do not contain harmful chemical material. They are safe for your family use and great for picnic and party use.
- Rocinha 4PCS plates are lightweight enough for elderly with shaky hands.
- They are dishwasher safe and microwave safe.
ADAPTIVE PLATES FOR ELDERLY
Adaptive plates for elderly are plates with high edges and an inner lip to help keep food on the plate and prevent the elderly from spilling food while eating.
The use of special plates with raised edges for scooping food, non-slip bottoms, and bright colors makes eating at dinnertime less difficult for the elderly.
Below is a good example of adaptive plates that will help make eating less work and more enjoyable for those who find it difficult to feed themselves.
HIGH SIDED SCOOP PLATE BY LIBERTY ASSISTIVE-ADAPTIVE PLATE
- The high sided scoop plate features a high sided lip that assist users by having them push the food up the lip of the plate onto their utensils.
- This plate is dishwasher safe and microwave safe.
- This scoop plate is an excellent aid for people who have trouble such as people with disabilities, children and the elderly.
- The skid proof rubber base prevents plates from slipping.
READ ALSO: CAN CERAMIC PLATES GO IN THE OVEN?
PLATES WITH LIDS FOR ADULTS
Plates with lids for adults are available in different shapes, sizes, and colors. A good example of plates with lids is Sammons -40928 high-sided divided dish.
This plate is used to help individuals with limited hands and wrist control maneuver food onto their fork or spoon.
The high walls allow them to push the food onto their utensil without making a mess. Dividers keep food organized and prevent mixing for the perfect meal.
If you’re not finished with your food do not worry because each dish comes with a lid that seals and it’s microwave safe for reheating.
DINNER PLATES FOR THE ELDERLY
Even though feeding oneself may appear to be a simple task, it can be difficult for the elderly. People become less self-sufficient as they age and become senior citizens.
Lightweight plates for the elderly are designed to assist people with physical disabilities in maintaining their ability to eat independently.
When people have medical conditions, they may require assistance when eating. However, with special dinner plates for the elderly, they can eat with less mess. This is because some of these plates have raised edges that make eating with one hand easier.
Some of these plates also have a suction base to keep them from slipping and to prevent spills.
PROVIDENCE SPILLPROOF SCOOP PLATE
- This scoop plate has a curved high side to help guide food onto utensils.
- Ideal solution for elderly people who need help eating independently.
- BPA and Latex free; made of durable polypropylene plastic.
- It has a non-slip base to prevent sliding.
NON SLIP PLATES FOR THE ELDERLY
If you have an elderly person or a senior who is having difficulty feeding themselves, the non-slip plate is the ideal dishware for them.
They are ideal for the elderly because they can be properly gripped and will not slip from their hands.
How do you tell if a plate is non-slip? Most non-slip plates are made with suction bases or non-slip bottoms and can help with self-feeding difficulties. They aid in preventing items from sliding off a table or tray.
Purchase nonslip plates for the elderly to encourage your loved ones with hand tremors, Parkinson’s, and neurological disabilities to feed themselves.
PLATE WITH SUCTION CUP ELDERLY CARE ANTI-SPILL PLATE
- It has a super suction cup underneath that can be placed on any clean or flat surface to firmly hold the table top in place for safe eating without spilling or accidents.
- The anti-spill plate is made of 100% food grade silicone and does not contain any harmful or toxic chemicals for the safety of the eater.
- The non-slip handle design prevents burns and improves lifting comfort.
- It is nonstick and can be washed in hot water or rinsed and dried in the dishwasher.
SILICONE PLATES AND BOWLS FOR ADULTS
Silicones have gained popularity and have been marketed as safe plastic substitutes in recent years. This material is used in cosmetics, personal care products, baby bottle nipples, mugs, plates, utensils, toys, food containers, and other products.
Silicone is widely used in cookware and kitchen utensils because it is easy to clean, nonstick, and stain-resistant.
When shopping for silicone plates and bowls for adults, look out for high-quality items because the higher the quality, the lower the possibility of chemicals leaching.
High-quality silicone plates and bowls are non-toxic, completely safe, and BPA-free. Silicone plates are soft and unbreakable, and they can be used in the microwave and dishwasher.
WHAT ARE LIGHTWEIGHT PLATES MADE OF?
Some are made of natural wheat straw, starch, and food-safe PP material that is BPA-free, non-toxic, and odorless, while others are made of melamine.
Melamine is a chemical compound that is used to make strong plastic dinnerware that is lightweight, sturdy, and nearly indestructible.
WHAT IS THE LIGHTEST MATERIAL FOR PLATES?
Bone China is the lightest and thinnest material for plates. It is the most enduring ceramic, refined formal dinnerware available.